28 June 2008

Back from Western Travels...time to move Eastward!

I had an amazing trip. Too many stories to tell, too many places visited and far too many drinks consumed have made this one extremely difficult blog post...but I'll try my best:) After Chicago I went to England where I connected (I was about to type re-connected, but that would imply a prior connection) with my paternal grandparents, my paternal Aunt, her husband and their daughters--or rather, my cousins. That was actually the highlight of my trip, connecting with people I didn't know yet are my family. It could have been quite an awkward endeavour but luckily we're all related so we're all fairly gifted with gab. That's just one of many comparisons and similarities I could draw between our like personalities based solely on the briefest of encounters. Incredible. I will sincerely try to make it back to London after my service in the Peace Corps to solidify those relationships.

The following weekend I left for Amsterdam. I know, I know...Amsterdam. The first thoughts that come to the American mind are glutenous indulgence in sexual and/or narcotic activities, and I can assure you none (well maybe a wee dose of the latter) transpired. I continue to hold the same opinion of prostitution that I had before: good to have as an option for those that care to use their 'services', but certainly not for me. I had been to Amsterdam once before when I was nineteen. On Spring Break. With three of my fraternity brothers. Even then none of us consorted with the ladies-of-the-night...though the medicinal use of natures green herb was used to an excess I'm sure no one's doctor would recommend:) However, this time in Amsterdam was different. It was refreshing. Not only was I staying a comfortable distance away from the center, but I had a personal Dutch guide to show me the 'real' Amsterdam. Jonathan and I met during my study abroad in Perugia, Italy and have luckily remained in contact these three years later so he was an invaluable resource in my re-discovery of what is truly one of the prettiest and nicest of European cities. We got a chance to bike-ride along all of the canals and tour the best parts of the city. Plus he introduced me to the best coffeeshops Amsterdam has to offer, as well as their various wares-which really should be introduced to our fine culture; if only temperance was a virtue America held dear, as the Dutch so do...but that's neither here nor there.

I digress...following my Amsterdam tour-de-farce I made my way back to beautiful London-town!! London is an amazing city with a seemingly endless amount of activity to offer. I got a chance to see Royal Ascot as well as Taste of London (as a VIP, I might add) and partied with beautiful people in beautiful clothes drinking beautiful drinks on a beautiful deck in the heart of the city. Have I hammered the point home? Good...too many stories to tell individually, but believe me it was incredible.

Post London I had a brief respite from my travels in Seattle, before I made my way to L.A. Well, Hollywood to be exact. There I met up with my friend who works in the industry and met two guys who are leads in a popular sitcom and we partied all. night. long. Quite the Hollywood experience, and certainly one I will not be repeating anytime soon, but well worth the hangover:) Post L.A. I went with my friend Justin to Las Vegas. Yes. We had a good time:)

Now I'm home in Woodinville getting last minute preparations going for my epic departure on Wednesday to Kyrgyzstan. It's strange. I'm neither nervous nor excited..and you can see I have still not alleviated my improper application of alliteration--which is a good thing. It means not much has changed. As the clock slowly winds down to my inevitable departure I can't help but feel anything but grateful. Grateful to my friends for letting me stay with them for free in every city I visited, grateful to my newly-met family for being so warm and welcoming, grateful to my family for being so understanding, and yes, grateful even to my gracious former employer whose steady paycheck slowly allowed me to indulge in this month of debauchery.

The next step is Peace Corps. I have no idea what to expect, yet I know myself well enough to know that anything that's thrown at me will easily be coped with. I'm anxious to get over there and start living the life I've been planning for myself for the past three years. I still have no idea what I'll be doing post-service, but right now that's the furthest thing from my thoughts. Now I have packing to consider, gifts (for my host family) to buy, and local friends to have one last horrah with before I leave. Speaking of which, tonight at 9 at Peso's in lower Queen Anne, if anyone's interested:)

For now I leave you hopefully humored, curious, debating whether you gleaned the proper veracity from my ramblings, yet overall I hope I leave you entertained. More stories sure to come, just give me some time to figure out how to work the Kyrgyz' Cyrillic-Alphabet keyboards:)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bloody marvelous !!
Love
DAD